Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Lace yoke sweater

I needed a break from hats, so I joined the Knitalong on Plastic Midgauge Machines KAL on Facebook. Irene Woods created the pattern and suggested the yarn to use (Alara by Ice Yarns, which is 50%cotton and 50% acrylic for lightness but coolness).
I dug out the measuring tape and really measured myself....what a shock!! Okay, since there will be no size tag in the back I can just knit this to really fit me

I found that my size required more than one package of yarn (8 balls per package) but I hate running out so I bought 2 packages. I am glad I did because it took part of the second package!! Only part of a ball, but even though, it was great to not really run out of yarn.

I did lots of griping online about the fit of the garment, but when I finished it and washed it and dried it, it fits great. I will enjoy wearing this summer sweater. And we have lots of summer weather here in Raleigh, NC, USA!!


Irene has gotten so much feedback on her pattern that she has re-written it to fit on the more limited needles of the bulky. She is even in the process of adapting it for the standard gauge machine. It is all hand manipulated and needs no ribber!
She has written it for up to as many needles as the machines have so we larger ladies might even find our size! 

All right, I'll confess. I knit the size XXL or 52 inches (darn that tummy and bottom!!) I knit it just as written. I used my brother 350 knitting machine. Irene has written it for both the LK 150 and the brother 350, with the different tensions these two machines need. (6.5mm LK150 vs. the 7 mm Brother). 

After washing my sweater the tummy area measured 50 or 51 inches, but it is very stretchy. Maybe I could have worn the 48 inch sweater, but this size flows smoothly over the voluptiousness of my middle!!

I love this sweater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment